Derma rollers were undeniably the hottest beauty trend back in 2018, and they’re still just as influential now. Though the jury is still out on whether or not they’re actually effective, people continue to use them in hopes of achieving flawless skin. But are derma rollers safe?
Derma rollers, if used properly, can be safe and useful for your skin. But if you don’t use the right technique and products, you could experience skin conditions, skin darkening, and permanent scarring.
There’s no doubt that derma rollers can be beneficial for your skin. They can help with many different issues like acne scars, wrinkles, and stretch marks. But there are also some risks involved with using a derma roller.
If you’re thinking about using a derma roller, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks. Below, we provide an overview of everything you need to know about the safety of derma rollers.
Is Derma Roller Safe to Use at Home?
When using derma rollers at home, you need to consider the fact that you could experience some skin conditions if you don’t take the proper precautions. The most common side effects associated with derma rollers include:
- Skin Conditions: If you don’t clean your derma roller properly, you could develop a skin infection. Be sure to sterilize your device before each use and wash your face thoroughly before rolling.
- Skin Darkening: If you use a derma roller with needles that are too long, you could experience skin darkening. This is because the needles can damage your skin’s collagen and elastin, which can lead to hyperpigmentation.
- Permanent Scarring: If you don’t use a derma roller with short enough needles, you could experience permanent scarring. The needles can damage your skin’s deep tissue, which can lead to scars.
To avoid these side effects, it’s important to use a derma roller with short needles (0.5 mm or shorter) and to take the proper precautions when using it. If you’re unsure about how to use a derma roller, it’s best to consult with a dermatologist or esthetician.
Is Derma Roller Safe During Pregnancy?
A common question among pregnant women is whether or not derma rollers are safe to use during pregnancy. As with any beauty treatment, there are some risks involved with using a derma roller during pregnancy. The most common side effects include skin irritation, redness, and swelling.
Although no chemicals are involved in the process of derma rolling, it’s still recommended that you do not use a derma roller when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If you have consulted with your gynecologist and plan to use a derma roller, make sure you practice dry needling instead. In this process, you will not use any products on your skin.
Dry needling means that you will only be using the derma roller on dry skin. It will help to avoid any irritation or swelling. To dry needle, simply roll the derma roller over your skin in a back and forth motion.
Make sure you are not applying too much pressure when rolling, as this can cause bruising.
Is Derma Roller Safe for Sensitive Skin?
If you have sensitive skin, you need to be extra careful when using a derma roller. The needles can cause irritation, redness, and swelling. To avoid these side effects, it’s best to use a derma roller with short needles (0.5 mm or shorter) and to take the proper precautions when using it.
It’s also important to note that derma rollers are not recommended for people with active acne, rosacea, eczema, or psoriasis. If you have any of these conditions, it’s best to consult with a dermatologist before using a derma roller.
Do Derma Rollers Really Work?
Yes, derma rollers can be beneficial for your skin. They can help with a number of different issues like acne scars, wrinkles, and stretch marks. A 2018 review showed that microneedling is a safe way to treat wrinkles and scars. Here are some conditions derma rollers can be effective against:
- Acne Scarring: Derma rolling can help to reduce the appearance of acne scars by breaking up the scar tissue and stimulating collagen production. In a study, researchers found that just four microneedling sessions increased collagen production by 400%.
- Wrinkles: Derma rollers can help to smooth out wrinkles by increasing collagen production.
- Fine Lines: As you age, your skin loses collagen and elasticity. It can lead to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Derma rolling can help to diminish the appearance of fine lines by increasing collagen production.
- Stretch Marks: Stretch marks are a common side effect of pregnancy, weight gain, or weight loss. They occur when your skin stretches beyond its capacity, causing the collagen and elastin fibers to break. Derma rolling can help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks by breaking up the scar tissue and stimulating collagen production.
- Pigmentation: Derma rolling can help to improve pigmentation by breaking up the pigment cells and allowing them to be evenly distributed.
Tips for Using Derma Rollers Safely
If you plan to use a derma roller, there are some things you need to keep in mind to avoid any side effects. Here are some tips for using derma rollers safely:
- Use an ice pack to numb the area before you start rolling.
- Start with a derma roller with short needles (0.5 mm or shorter).
- Roll the derma roller back and forth in different directions.
- Apply light pressure when rolling.
- Do not roll over active acne, eczema, rosacea, or psoriasis.
It’s also important to wear sunscreen the day after you use a derma roller because your skin becomes more prone to burning. Additionally, the frequency of using a derma roller should not be more than once a week.
More importantly, do not share your derma roller with anyone else. Sharing derma rollers can lead to the spread of bacteria and infections.
What to Do Now
To sum it up, derma rollers are safe to use as long as you take the proper precautions. Make sure you consult with a dermatologist or esthetician before using one, and always follow the tips for using a derma roller safely.
If you don’t want to do derma rolling yourself, we’ve got the right fit for you. At Holistic Care, we provide the best derma rolling services that are sure to give you the results you desire. Our team of experts will help you choose the right needle size and handle your skin with care. Schedule an appointment with us today!